To have a successful SEO campaign there are many factors that need to be considered. There’s lots of long term planning that needs to be set up before any results will be seen. Long term aside, there are many daily activities that marketers need to adapt to help their campaign succeed.
- Track your site errors – When we first begin working with a new site the first step is to review the site for errors. Now once a site is error free this doesn’t mean we stop checking. Review your Google Search Console and make sure there’s no broken links or 404 pages. These are simple fixes that often go overlooked. Utilize tools like Moz to track similar errors. You can track day to day any new errors that pop up on the sites, these include missing h1, duplicate titles, too long of meta descriptions, etc. These errors can slip through if not monitored regularly.
- Analyze your rankings – Each day we review how the rankings have changed. This effects what keywords we use in upcoming content pieces. You’ll notice when working on a new term that may rank on page 5 or deeper that the term jumps around. This is common when a new SEO campaign is started. It’s good practice to watch and see how these terms move around. Search engines will slowly increase the search results for a term, and you may even see the tern jump to page one for a day or two. This is the search engines reviewing how users interact on the page. If users like the page you’re more likely to keep that ranking.
- Review your traffic – Go into Google Analytics and see how the previous day had done. This is great to do once a week, but can be done daily if you have launched a new landing page or content piece. If you’re curious to see if that social bookmarking post you did had any changes to referral traffic, this is the time to check. Review pages that had high bounce rates and review ways to fix those bounce rate issues. Did you recently launch a newsletter or email campaign? Check your traffic to see how many people came to the site, and if any made a conversion.
- Learn – At the very least read one article each day. This can be related to SEO, PPC, your industry, or even business management. Everyone should always be expanding their knowledge of the industry they work in. SEO marketers should always be learning, the industry is always changing and many marketers like to share their experiences. Utilize these sources and implement these ideas into your campaign.
- Plan – Review your campaign plan and make sure you’re on track and make any changes if necessary. It’s important to have a well established plan and to keep with the plan. You may find the plan needs to be adjusted based on new keywords, content ideas, etc.